We are excited to share the goals, agenda, challenge project tasks and final recommendations, and assessment tools used in this inaugural Provost’s Leadership Academy.
- Professor Andy Policano led and facilitated the seven-month program; which included 19 other leaders from the campus who participated as speakers and group leaders. View Workshop Leaders.
- 23 faculty completed the academy. Several Academy alumni have since earned new leadership roles. View 2016-17 Cohort Members.
Program Goals - Download (PDF)
Full-Day Workshop - Nov. 18, 2016
Overview - Download Presentation (PDF)
- The Turbulent Environment Facing Higher Education
- Panel: The Choice to Pursue a Leadership Path
- Pragmatics: The First 100 days and Beyond
- Small Group Breakouts with a Seasoned Leader
- Strategic Planning Overview
- An Introduction to University Budgeting and Financial Strategy
- A Brief Overview of External Relations and Development
Session 1 - Dec. 9, 2016
Leadership Characteristics and Strategies - Download Presentation (PDF)
Session 2 - Jan. 13, 2017
Human Resource Strategy - Download Presentation (PDF)
Session 3 - Feb. 10, 2017
Affecting Change - Download Presentation (PDF)
Session 4 - March 10, 2017
Managing Conflict - Download Presentation (PDF)
Session 5 - April 14, 2017
External Relations - Download Presentation (PDF)
Session 6 - May 19, 2017
Challenge Projects and Subgroup Recommendations to the Provost
- Topic: Improving the Campus Climate - Download Report (PDF)
Task: Workgroup tasked with developing a quantitative “Inclusive Excellence Index” for the UCI campus that could assess school-based equity, diversity, and inclusion; identify areas for improvement; and track progress in each campus unit over time.
- Topic: Faculty Hiring - Download Report (PDF)
Task: Workgroup tasked with reviewing the campus faculty hiring programs in light of four important principles: alignment with strategic goals (both unit and campus), transparency, school autonomy, balance and fairness.
- Topic: Valuing Teaching Excellence - Download Report (PDF)
Task: Workgroup tasked with developing recommendations for changes that would increase value placed on contributions to teaching in the merit/promotion process and create guidelines for assessment of contributions that go beyond student evaluations.
Pre-Survey - Designed to collect information as part of the Academy evaluation process.
Full Day + Session 2 Feedback - Designed to collect initial feedback on the usefulness of the two first sessions as well as more general feedback about session format.
Final Survey - Designed to collect feedback on the success of the Academy in achieving its goals and its impact on attendees’ leadership aspirations.