|1:00 – 1:05 p.m.
||Welcome – Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor Enrique Lavernia
|1:05 – 1:15 p.m.
||Masters of Ceremony:
Maritza Salazar, Assistant Professor, Organization and Management
Mike Yassa, Professor, Neurobiology and Behavior
|1:20 – 2:20 p.m.
||‘Faculty Slam’ (Grad Slam/Ted Talk style) – Six faculty representatives from of all parts of campus will describe their research project and highlight the value of the interdisciplinary component of the work.
- Brett Sanders, Professor, Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Beth Cauffman, Professor, Psychological Science
- Barbara Finlayson-Pitts, Director of AirUCI and Professor of Chemistry
- Michele Goodwin, Chancellor’s Professor of Law
- Douglas Haynes, Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, Director of ADVANCE, and Professor of History
- Daniel Whiteson, Professor, Physics and Astronomy
|2:25 – 2:45 p.m.
||Team Science – Useful tools for interdisciplinary research
- Maritza Salazar-Campo, Assistant Professor, Organization and Management
- Gary Olson, Bren Professor Emeritus, of Informatics
- Judith Olson, Bren Professor Emerita, of Informatics
- Daniel Stokols, Chancellor’s Professor Emeritus, Social Ecology
|2:50 – 3:05 p.m.
|3:10 – 3:40 p.m.
||Breakout #1 Group Discussions
- Building and sustaining an interdisciplinary program
Presenter: Dan Cooper, Professor and AVC, Clinical and Translational Research
- Interdisciplinary research internal/external funding opportunities explored
Pramod Khargonekar, Vice Chancellor for Research
John Crawford, Associate Dean and Professor for the Claire Trevor School of the Arts
- UCI Engage – connecting UCI research with the community
Presenter: Nancy Guerra, Dean of Social Ecology, Director UCI Engage and Professor of Psychological Science
|3:45 – 4:15 p.m.
||Breakout #2 Group Discussions:
- How to leverage an interdisciplinary degree in today’s job market
Neda Moayedi, SAGE Scholars Director
Lauren Lyon, Career Pathways Career Engagement Educator for Graduate Students
- Promotion and tenure implications for interdisciplinary research; How to write an effective research narrative
Diane O’Dowd, Vice Provost for Academic Personnel and CAP Chair
Sharon Block, Chair, Council on Academic Personnel and Professor, History
Gary Olson, Professor Emeritus, Informatics
- Humanities and the Arts, Grand Challenges, and Interdisciplinary Connectivity
Tyrus Miller, Dean, School of Humanities
Judy Tzu-Chun Wu, Director of the Humanities Center, Professor of Asian American Studies & Chancellors Fellow
James Kyung-Jin Lee Director, Center for Medical Humanities, Associate Professor of Asian American Studies and English
Stephen Barker, Dean and Professor, Claire Trevor School of the Arts
|4:25 – 4:50 p.m.
||Seed Fund winners panel – Discuss proposal process, lessons learned
Carol McDonald Connor, Chancellor’s Professor of Education
Jennifer Martiny, Professor, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Elliot Botvinick, Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering and Surgery
|4:55 – 5:05 p.m.
Hal Stern, Vice Provost, Academic Planning
|5:05 – 6:00 p.m.