Feb 26, 2019
On behalf of Chancellor Gillman, I am pleased to announce the formation of an advisory search committee charged with assisting us in appointing a new Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Dean of the Graduate Division. The Vice Provost and Dean will work closely with the Academic Senate, deans, associate deans, and graduate advisors to advance our strategic goal to grow and enhance graduate education. Graduate students are essential to UCI’s mission, as they contribute to faculty research, conduct their own innovative studies, help mentor undergraduates, and strengthen the pipeline of future scholars and researchers.
The committee will be chaired by Martha Mecartney, Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering. The other members are:
- Yong Chen, Associate Dean for Curriculum and Student Services, School of Humanities
- Michele Goodwin, Chancellor’s Professor of Law, School of Law
- Maria Graziano, Assistant Dean, School of Physical Sciences
- Michelle Herrera, President, Associated Graduate Students
- Jan Hirsch, Director and Founding Dean, Pharmaceutical Sciences
- John Lowengrub, Chancellor’s Professor, Department of Mathematics
- Rachel Martin, Professor, Department of Chemistry
- Melissa Mazmanian, Associate Professor, Department of Informatics
- Glen Mimura, Chair of Graduate Council, Academic Senate
- Ali Mohraz, Associate Professor, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- R. Michael Mulligan, Associate Dean for Graduate Education, School of Biological Sciences
- Zoran Nenadic, Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Gerardo Okhuysen, Professor, Paul Merage School of Business
- Elizabeth Peña, Professor, School of Education
- Roxane Cohen Silver, Associate Director, UCI ADVANCE Program, Office of Inclusive Excellence
In addition to committee interviews, finalists will meet with leadership of the Academic Senate and with key campus administrators, all of whom will have an opportunity to comment on the strengths and weaknesses of the candidates.
A national search will be conducted to identify the most qualified candidates. We have engaged Isaacson, Miller, a nationally recognized academic search consultant, to assist the committee, which will begin deliberations soon. Interested UCI faculty are encouraged to apply.
All correspondence will be held in the strictest confidence and should be addressed to:
Vice Provost Graduate Education and Dean of the Graduate Division Search Committee
In care of JiWon Kim, project administrator for Academic Affairs
Aldrich Hall 510, Mail Code 1000
Irvine, CA 92697-1000
We welcome your participation in this important recruitment.
Enrique J. Lavernia, Ph.D.
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
Distinguished Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering